Date: Brownie Story/Promise and Law/Guiding Light/Enrollment Planning
|Activity Description||Who is leading it?||Program to be covered||Materials Needed||Time needed|
|Gathering||Promise/law Word Search/Code||10 min|
|Opening||-Brownie Song-Promise-What we are doing today||Rainbow Owl||Spirit of Guiding||none||5 min|
|Activity 1||Brownie Story & Discussion||Rainbow Owl||Our Story||-Stick Puppets-Brownie Story||10 min|
|1st Years||Brownie Promise Relay||Rainbow Owl||Our Story||-Promise Scramble Cards (1 set per group)|
|2nd Years||Brownie Promise Adlib/Brownie Hand Craft SWAP||Tawny Owl||Our StorySpirit of GuidingArt studio||Brownie Promise Adlib|
|1st Years||Brownie Law Booklet||Rainbow Owl||-Our Story||Booklet|
|2nd Years||The Brownie Law In Action||Tawny Owl||-Our Story-Art Studio||-Brownie Law (1 copy per group)|
|Activity 4||Brownie Law Skit||Rainbow Owl & Tawny Owl||-Our Story-Art Studio||-Brownie Law||5-10 min|
|Activity 5||Tweenie Record||Rainbow Owl||-our Story-SPirit of Guiding||-Copy of Tweenie Record||5-10 min|
|1st Years||Enrollment Invitations||Rainbow Owl||-Our Story-Spirit of Guiding||-Items for invites|
|2nd Years||Guiding Lights||Tawny Owl||-Spirit of Guiding-Art Studio||-lanterns-stickers-electric tea lights|
|Closing||-What’s up next week-Brownie Closing song||Rainbow Owl||-Spirit of Guiding||none||2 min|
Brownie Promise Relay
- Cut out the Promise Scramble Cards and make a deck
- Shuffle each deck so the cards aren’t in order
- As a group, talk about what it means to make a promise. Why might you make a promise?
- Recite the Brownie Promise a few times together:
I promise to do my best,
To be true to myself,
my beliefs and Canada,
I will take action for a better world,
And respect the Brownie Law.
- Make small groups and set up the relay race.
- Place one set of Promise Scramble Cards for each group face down on one side of the room. Then, line up with your group on the other side of the room, facing your set of cards.
- Ready, set, go! Send a girl from your group to go get the first card from your pile.
- Once she’s back with her card, she high-fives the next girl in line, who goes to pick up the next card from the pile.
- Keep taking turns until your group has all the cards from your pile.
- As quickly as possible, arrange the cards so that they show the Brownie Promise in the right order.
- Once the cards are in order, make the Brownie Sign and say the Brownie Promise with your group to finish the race!
- What does it mean to do your best? Share a time you did your best.
Brownie Promise Adlib
Check it out here: Brownie Promise Adlib
Brownie Promise Hand SWAP
2nd year Brownies will follow the GF Platform activity to create a SWAP for the 1st year kids to help them learn their Promise. Use fun foam and sharpies instead of paper.
- On a piece of paper, trace your hand with a pencil or marker.
- Cut around the outline of the hand.
- If you used your right hand to trace your left hand, flip the outline of the hand over so that it looks like your right hand, which is the hand you make the Guide Sign with.
- Fold in your pinky finger and thumb so the thumb is holding down the pinky.
- Tape your thumb over your pinky finger to hold it in place. Each finger left up is a part of the promise:
- To be true to myself, my beliefs and Canada
- Take action for a better world
- Respect the Brownie Law
- Decorate each one with ways that you can show that part of the Promise in your life. You can use pictures or words.
- Practice saying the Promise using your paper hand as a reminder.
Brownie Law Booklet
Check out the booklet here: Brownie Law Booklet
The Brownie Law in Action
Loosely taken from the Brownie Law in Action activity on the GF Platform. Have the Brownies form groups of 2-3 and perform a short, 30-60 second skit that demonstrates one of the components of the law. They will perform these skits for the 1st years and they will guess which part of the law they are demonstrating with their skit.
Have the 1st years pair up with 2nd years and go over their tweenie records. When they feel ready, they can approach an owl to sign off on their record.
Check out the Tweenie Record here: Tweenie Record
Lanterns made by the 2nd years for 1st years to use at their Enrollment Ceremony and for indoor campfires etc. We have used various lanterns from the Dollar Store over the years to complete this project and then I make up stickers from my cricut to put them on. Lots of amazing ideas on Pinterest!